These are the resources of AS BONDING all in one page
Just thinking…You would think atoms bonding would mean they were being friendly to each other, but they end up stealing each other’s electrons in the process. Isn’t that “IONIC”?
CHEMICAL BONDING NOTES
WHY DO ELEMENTS COMBINE?
We saw that only NOBLE GASES are stable. The rest of the elements are not stable and they will try to get the electronic configuration of a noble gas. That is, releasing electrons, getting electrons or sharing electrons so they complete their octet. These processes take place when an element combines with another one or several so all of them become stable.
- There are many different types of bonding that can occur between the atoms of elements.
Atomic bonding can be classified as the following three types:
- Ionic bonding (Transfer of electrons) is the electrostatic attraction between ions of opposing charges that results in an ionic crystal lattice.
- Covalent bonding (Sharing pair(s) of electrons) occurs when the outer electrons of two atoms are shared forming molecules.
- Metallic bonding .(Metal ions sharing outer shell electrons among a lattice of ions) is the electrostatic attractive force between conduction /delocalized electrons and positively charged metal ions.
There are also interaction among molecules with each other. These are called:
Intermolecular Forces (attraction among different molecules)
- Van Der Waals. (non polar molecules)
- Dipole-Dipole (polar molecules)
- Hydrogen Bonding (H in one molecule with N,O or F in another moelecule)